What is a Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Sleeve Gastrectomy, also known as Gastric sleeve, is one of the modern weight loss procedures, usually kept for people who are obese and overweight to the extent of being unhealthy. It is an irreversible procedure in which stomach is divided into two partitions. Resultantly there is a smaller portion and the bigger portion of the stomach, and the smaller portion serves as the primary stomach.
Sleeve Gastrectomy is different from the full Gastric Bypass surgery in the manner that the latter consists of two stages, the first of which is the former. In simpler terms, in Gastric Bypass, firstly the procedure of Sleeve Gastrectomy is done and then another procedure is carried out whereby to re-route and reconnect the intestines. However, depending on individual cases, Sleeve Gastrectomy can be enough on its own.
Further Information About the Procedure
The eligibility for Sleeve Gastrectomy is actually very specific. There are certain medical requirements that have to be met, plus the patients need to show that they have the determination and commitment to address not just their obesity but also the follow the procedures that follow the medical treatments. Such an operation is not just a physical alteration rather it requires a lifestyle overhaul and permanent changes in eating and living behaviors. Other factors that count towards the eligibility of Sleeve Gastrectomy are:
- BMI measurement north of 34
- Proven history of unsuccessful previous weight loss efforts
- Showing responsibility to control weight through health management
- Clear understanding and acceptance to the potential risks associated with this procedure
For individuals with extremely high BMI, such as in the neighborhood of 55, having full Gastric Bypass could end up leading to more complications than benefits. This is especially important when such patients also have related health conditions. Sleeve Gastrectomy is slower and more gradual than the full operation and therefore allows for steady weight loss and more adjustment time for the body. Once this procedure is done, the rest of the extra weight can be dealt with slowly while giving body the time to adjust instead of reacting to sudden changes. There are also instances when full Gastric Bypass can still be done on patients who have already undergone Sleeve Gastrectomy, approximately six months after the first surgery. The idea is the same, that with very high BMI, it is better to give body time to adjust. If the Sleeve Gastrectomy works alone to reach weight loss targets, then it is even better for the patients.
Initially patients have to stay in hospital, under regular care, for a while after Sleeve Gastrectomy is done. However, as soon as the anesthetic wears off, the patients are often asked to move slowly and gently, and walk to allow for blood circulation to take place normally throughout the body. If needed, painkillers are also provided for some time. Other factors may include:
- Depending on the individual case and the recommendations of the surgeons, patients can be discharged and allowed to go home in one or two days.
- There can be some bruising and pain, but that is an unavoidable part of any such surgery and can be easily managed though medication.
- Right after the surgery, for approximately a week, liquid diets and soft foods are recommended.
- Alongside the choice of food, portions are also recommended to be reduced to allow for the new stomach size to do its work, as well as bring about behavioral changes necessary for success of the procedure.
- Usually light workout or exercise is also recommended by the doctors, however for at least two months, any strenuous work or exercise is strictly forbidden.
- If the patients are working, then there might also be the requirement of some time off work to ensure speedy and full recovery.
- The surgery is followed with medical support and ongoing weight loss management.
Lose More Weight with Gastric Sleeve
After Care Support Package
- Constant availability of specialist weight-loss professionals and support team that includes dietitians as well as your bariatric surgeon
- Pre and post operative care
- Transport to and from the surgical procedure
- Unlimited access to specialist nurses to help you with recovery
- Post operative support staff and psychotherapists
- Dietary guidance post surgery
- Emergency helpline around the clock
- Regular weight and health monitoring to ensure your weight loss targets are being comfortably met
- Two to five years of advice and support for losing weight and keeping off the lost weight
- Personal trainer program to aide you in achieving and maintaining fitness
Our Technological services has been improved vastly
Come Experience the real life situations of saving life
Benefits of Gastric Sleeve
With this surgery, it is not just your hunger and weight that become manageable. Rather it is an overhaul of your complete dietary, workout and lifestyle habits towards becoming healthier.
Obesity is as much a damp on your looks as it is on your self confidence. When you become healthier, you also become more active, enjoy life more and thereby boost your confidence.
Battling hunger and cravings is never a joy. However with the permanent reduction in stomach size you don’t have to battle your hunger, rather you feel full with much smaller food portions.
Potential Risks and Complications
The biggest risk associated with this type of medical procedure is its irreversibility. Once your stomach size shrinks, there is only so much food you will be able to eat. This is why accepting the risk is not enough, rather a true commitment will be required from anyone undergoing the procedure to remain steadfast to their decision to change their eating habits and adopt healthy lifestyle.
Gastric Gastrectomy is a major surgery and like any major medical procedure risks are attached to this one too. There is a small risk of death too, approximately 0.15% patients. However with the availability of latest technology coupled with trained and expert surgeons, such risks are mitigated. Furthermore, patients are kept under care in hospital for a specified period of time to make sure that no such complication rises, or is promptly dealt with if it does occur.
An unavoidable part of the surgery however is the little while it takes patients to become completely healthy and active again. There might be some pain which is manageable by medication. And there might be some other minor discomforts such as nausea, vomiting, bowel routine disturbance, or scarring at the incision site.
Frequently Asked Questions
- We offer professional and expert bariatric surgeons operating on the NHS. Our staff is highly qualified and experienced with the medical procedures as well as the post-op needs of the patients.
- You will receive aftercare for minimum two years with Weight Loss Clinic
- Our helpline, as our healthcare professionals, are available to you any time of the day, every month, all year round.
- With our helpful and skilled staff you will receive constant guidance and support for your pre-surgery, surgery, and post surgery.
- You can get in touch with our other patients who can share with you their stories and experiences to put your mind at ease about your own surgery.
- We offer transportation for you pre and post surgery so you don’t have to worry about creating any complications for you during your drive to and from surgery.
You will have to book a consultation with us first. You might think it is a waste of time, but our surgeons and dedicated staff will not compromise on your safety and post-op care by skipping this highly important part of any medical procedure. Surgeons will not tell you that you need the surgery if you absolutely don’t and they will not recommend it just because you wish for it either. Specified criteria need to be met for you to become eligible for surgery.
Once your consultation is done and you have been cleared for the Sleeve Gastrectomy, then you will have to make a call at our office number 0311 4819301, and speak to a liaison, go through the available dates and book a date suitable to your schedule.
Although we try to keep our prices as competitive as possible, for some patients it might be necessary to have some sort of loan or financing for convenient payments. We cannot offer such payments ourselves but we can suggest different finance companies with good repayment and low cost financing. You can get in touch with your liaison for details on that.
Alternatively, if you are not eligible for a loan or do not wish for that, you can start savings with us well in advance of your surgery date. You can pay monthly installments to Weight Loss Clinic and save money for your procedure. Should you choose for this option, you can communicate this to your liaison as well.